When tempest tossed, embrace chaos

My Sister and the Family Gift

Opshopping (or thrift/goodwill shopping for my international readers) is in my family's blood. My grandmother was The Original opshopper, back when they were dim, dusty and slightly smelly stores run by little old ladies who thought they were ripping you off if they asked 20c for a tshirt.

How times have changed.

But there are still bargains to be found, particularly if you are lucky enough to have The Eye. My grandmother had The Eye. My sister inherited it. I think the Family Gift may have passed me by, but I do my best.

Look what my sister's Eye found when we were opshopping the other day.


I bet you're looking at that and wrinkling your nose, thinking "Poor Kiki. She has no taste." Me too. But that's because we don't have The Eye. 

When my sister brought it up to me and said, "You really should get this and put a plant in it", I tried to smile benignly while thinking, "Bronze and blue? Hello 1974."

She kept telling me how great it would look with a Peace Lily or "One of those plants with bronze underneath the leaves", so when she told me it was only $3.99, it was easier to buy it than let her think I thought her taste was... wanting. 

Well, behold the transformation with the Calathea I bought for it yesterday! That's the power of The Eye, I tell you. I weep for my genetic deficiency.


How beautiful are Calatheas? That is purple underneath those leaves - I would love a nailpolish in that colour. But best of all, the leaves on this crazy plant are shiny on top and fuzzy underneath. Just delightful!

 

xx Kiki

4 comments:

Cathy said...

That's great shopping Kiki!

Kiki Chaos said...

Thanks Cathy! I'm a bit concerned though... does buying house plants mean I'm getting old??

alice lory and eaglet said...

Buying house plants just means you like clean air indoors ;)

I love your op-shop find. I never have so much luck.

Cathy said...

I've been meaning to get a house plant too. We can all be old together :)

Post a Comment

Followers