When tempest tossed, embrace chaos

Coffee. Is there anything you can't do?

I've tried to give up coffee many times. That hour is always so miserable. 

Sure, when disconnected from my life source my skin would make Cate Blanchett jealous, I look ten years younger and have more energy than a 2 year old on red cordial. But these are trifling sacrifices when compared to the simple joy of that first sip of Joe.

When Mr. K moved to East St Kilda, we had high hopes for the too-cool-for-school Carlisle Street cafes. But my frustration at requesting flat whites and consistently receiving half a cup of foam steadily grew until I stomped home and dragged the dust-coated espresso machine from its corner, muttering about free-pouring baristas impressing no-one and definitions of 'flat'.


Finally, after enduring weeks of supermarket brands, the coffee gods took pity on us and we discovered the Coffee Company.

These guys don't just sell coffee. At the back of the store, big storage lockers are filled with green beans that await roasting in the shiny roasting apparatus at the front of the store. That's right. This truly fresh coffee is hand roasted daily. 

As you'd expect, the Coffee Company sources beans from all over the coffee-growing world. I just had to try the Yemen Mokha Ismaeli because... well, it's from Yemen. Bugger carbon footprints; sometimes I just want to close my eyes and pretend I'm somewhere exotic for a few minutes on a Saturday morning (Mr. K is so going to use that against me next time I start lecturing him about being green...)

They also sell locally grown, rainforest alliance and grower friendly beans for more virtuous coffee drinkers, but be prepared to shed your hippie sensibilities the instant you clap eyes on the baskets of beans spread before you.

If you can't choose, do what we did and get 100g of the varieties with the most appealing names and descriptions, then scamper home like junkies who've just scored and spend the afternoon sampling them all. Then spend the rest of the night too wired to sleep.

Or you could start with Cafe Bar, our favourite so far. I've converted my sister and, after a frantic caffeine-deprived text from her this morning, I'm off to buy some for her right now.

For non-Melbournites and international readers, they also sell online.

The Coffee Company
260 Carlisle Street
Balaclava VIC 3183
www.coffeecompany.com.au


xx Kiki

1 comments:

Daph said...

The only good thing about 'giving up' coffee is taking that first sip after a caffeine drought...words can't describe it :P

I may have to wander into the Coffee Company next time I'm round St Kilda way- the buckets of lovely coffee beans look so happy and inviting :D

Post a Comment

Followers